Wednesday, December 1, 2010

VEGAS in TWO DAYS!!!!

Team Challenge Wisconsin leaves for Vegas in TWO DAYS!!!!  We have over 40 people on our team (one of the biggest in the nation!)  I am so excited to be a part of this.  For those of you who haven't heard me talk about this every second for the last 6 months, I am leaving on Friday to participate in the Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon (13.1 miles) in Las Vegas on Sunday!!  And yes, you heard correctly, Bret Michaels is headlining the after-party at the Mandalay Bay!  Apparently there are also tigers at the start, show girls at the finish line, and you can get married at mile 5. Hmmmmm......

Since I am unbelievably sleep deprived at this point, I have decided to overcompensate with a lot of exclamation points.  Okay, no, I won't do that.  That's obnoxious and annoying as are too many emoticons.    :-)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  see?

Since I am, good or bad, one of the most honest people I know (and no, I don't have a lot of friends b/c of this honesty problem), I will admit that when I first started this post it started it out with "Team Challenge Wisconsin leaves for Vegas in Two weeks!!"  I guess I am also coming clean about another problem I have; I will call it "post" procrastination.  It is very similar to my other problem called "procrastination" but involves publishing a post.  Some day I am going to write a post about my "process"....but since I keep procrastinating on that post, well, you get the idea....

Anyway, back to VEGAS!!!  I cannot believe it is here already!  Last night we had a send-off party and it helped me realize that this is really happening.  I was also really motivated by some new people I met and heard the stories of their struggle with this disease and I am just unbelievably inspired by their strength and perseverance.  While it frightens me what this disease may have in store for me in the future, I know that I am doing what I can now to help advancements and hopefully one day find a cure.

I recently read that there have been serious advancements in the treatment for Lupus, which gives me hope as Lupus is another autoimmune disease so perhaps some of the research/treatment can be carried over to treatments for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis.

Okay, who turned this happy post into sad/sickly stuff?  Oh yeah, me.  Okay, back to happy!!

Here is a picture of me on my way to Vegas!!
I guess all the other passengers are sleeping...and that I needed a bigger window to fit all my hair in. Yes, it's back to curly brown; I don't know why...it just seemed more fitting here.

So that is exactly what I will look like at approximately 3pm THIS Friday.

In fact, if you want to know exactly what I will look like.....


Yes, those are bouncing lines from me jumping up and down on the seat.  If you have ever met me, you will know that I will most undoubtedly be bouncing up and down uncontrollably barely containing my excitement.  These are a few of the things I get excited by, in no particular order: 1) throwing a stress relief cone at people, 2) thinking about throwing a stress relief cone at people, 3) watching spongebob laugh, 4) seeing people run into things, 5) seeing someone I haven't seen in 5 minutes, 6) puppies...okay I forgot what I'm doing. 

The point is, I am easily extremely excited.  So the idea of taking a big trip to Vegas AND for an amazing cause....is pretty much too much excitement for my poor body to handle.  I am also not good with caffeine and sugar as I have a tendency to basically run in circles.

I will probably cause so much bouncing that it will cause too much turbulence for everyone on the plane and they will make me parachute out as I am causing too much of a disturbance for the other passengers.

This is me not being phased by that at all...



I should make one tiny technicality clear.  While the above represents an accurate representation of what is, and will be, going through my mind-the enthusiasm, the excitement, the....I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S HERE!!!  Unfortunately there is this very small irrational part of my brain that no longer enjoys flying.  And by no longer enjoy, I mean I grip the airplane seat handles with white knuckles anxiously awaiting every second for the plane to plummet to my certain death.

As this has been going on and worsening for some years, I have decided to take matters into my own hands, or brain rather.  Yes, I am aware that flying is the safest form of transportation and that the odds of me dying in a car crash are much more likely...but, like I said, irrational.  I think a bit part of it stems from the fact that I have absolutely no control over what happens thousands of miles up in the air.  I have always liked pressure, a challenge...the ability to "step up to the plate"...but sitting back and watching someone else at the plate with your life in their hands?  Not as much fun for me.

I did consider other modes of transportation, which involved-driving, train, hitch-hiking, riding a tricycle, etc....

However, what better cause could there be to get over this silly irrational minor detail of not wanting to fly!  So...with a little help from my doctor lady friend, I hope to make it there and back not only in one piece physically, but also without a psychological meltdown.

I did request from the physician something akin to a horse tranquilizer, but apparently it's "illegal" on humans or some other lame excuse she came up with.

But here is an accurate representation of what I actually will look like on Friday at 3pm.


I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Nadia -

    Thanks for everything you've done (and continue to do) to raise Crohn's disease awareness and research funds through Team Challenge! Vegas and the half marathon are going to be a blast.

    And by the way, don't worry at all about flying. We'll be completely 100% absolutely fine, as long as we're not traveling on Oceanic Airlines (which seems to crash all the time based on Lost, Chuck, Fringe, JAG, Buffy and countless other TV programs). Um, where can I get some of those horse tranquilizers?

    TOMORROW IS VEGAS!!!

    ReplyDelete